Friday, June 3, 2016

Testing the Hypothesis Part 2

My unmet need is parking on campus. Surprising enough, I have found that quite a few people have this unmet need. 
 I found that students often found ways to get around parking. Several students took scooters to school which help with parking because Uf offers more scooter parking. Rozie, a student I interviewed, rode her bike to school. She is able to travel into the main part of campus which she finds is a big help. Tommy takes the bus which allows him to not even have to worry about parking on campus. 
My need isn't an everyday need. This is a need that students feel frustrated with while attending school. While my need is not a life threatening need, it still is important. 
The underlying cause of the outsiders need is different because not everyone can take the bus or ride a bike. They may live too far or whatever the case will be. A lot of the times, students just have cars and cannot afford a scooter so they are stuck trying to find parking on campus. 

Outside the Boundary                                                Inside the Boundary
students with other means                                               students who drive cars
of transportation.                                            other means of transportation for students who dont have
Parking on campus                                           a need.
Too many students,                                             They have other ways to get to campus.      
too little parking options

7 comments:

  1. Mary Kate, this need is very pressing within our campus community. I myself avoided getting a car due to this issue of parking on campus, and invested in a scooter (later a motorcycle) due to the increased availability of parking for such vehicles on campus. During my time off campus I made wide use of the bus when I was without my motor vehicle. Many students have an every day need to locate parking on campus, and unfortunately more time is sometimes spent looking for parking spots and walking from a distance in comparison to just having taken the bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think off-campus in particular find ways around this issue at UF. I know a my roommates and I have all found ways around it. One roommate owns a motorcycle, while my other roommate and myself either walk or skate. I think an interesting part of the parking issue is looking at on-campus living because here is also a great unmet need as many students cannot park within a ten minute walk of their dorm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally have faced this issue. I did not get a decal this year because I knew parking would be difficult to find some days and it is simply not worth the money (in my opinion). I also agree with Chris. When I lived in the dorms, I did have a decal and there were some days I would have to park far away from my dorm because that was the only place with available parking. This is definitely an issue inour UF community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently arranging my living situation down in Gainesville and will be moving down there in the fall if all goes well, after reading this post I now see the need for a scooter, due to my regular trips to the gym and other on campus facilities I plan to use. You have clearly issued an opportunity here but where is the solution, perhaps like an off campus parking lot with a shuttle system thus making it convenient for students to get class? Awesome post it was a pleasure reading and I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,

    In your tweaking innovation post you suggested some excellent ways to resolve this parking issue. Personally I would support any initiative to build the new parking garage you mentioned at the Gainesville campus. Having spent so much time in urban settings I typically think its better to build upward rather than outward in an attempt to conserve space. Also, the parking garage would offer much needed shade to drivers who park their cars inside. I think you've picked a very prevalent problem to address and I wish you luck in your further assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    And thank you so much for your contribution to class. As a student at the University of Florida,
    I can attest to the fact that there is absolutely
    No parking on campus - or an insufficient amount of space. A new Peking garage on the Gainesvile campus would be a much needed, and extremely successful addition to our school. The amount of parking tickets and wasted money because of a lack of parking is absolutely ridiculous and something like this definitley needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary - great post! I think parking is a huge issue at UF. It is really a big issue in multiple campuses I believe. This is why I take the bus. I use to park on campus. It took me double the time to get to class and it was pretty expensive for how far I had to park. I think your idea of building a garage to solve the problem is great but I think its more beneficial to the environment if more people take the bus or ride bikes :)

    ReplyDelete