https://soundcloud.com/mary-kate-cobb/sets/whats-next
Existing Market:
From my interviews with Riley, Tommy and Josh I learned why students think there should be parking and how much they'd be willing to pay. Tommy said he'd only be willing to pay $50 dollars which is just not feasible for a new business to start. For my existing market, I want to interview students or people who needed to park on or near UF every day.
Riley made a good point that having a garage near campus would also make it easier for people to go downtown. They could park at the garage and walk the rest of the way. All of these people have a need for Gator Shuttle. From the interviews however, I learned that not everyone needs the garage. Parking is the key factor for the people I talked to.
New Market:
For my new market I interviewed people who will most likely never have a need to use a parking garage to go to UF. In Andrea's interview, she talked about putting cameras into the garage because then it would be great for night life in midtown. Having a cheaper parking garage that is well lit with camera will help bring students to my area when they go out.
Both Ashlee and Liz never travel to campus or really to midtown. They didn't really have any new ideas and weren't very helpful with what would make them want to do it. From their interviews, I got two different reactions. Ashlee said that she travels on Archer to get to work, and that traffic would be better because there wouldn't be a line of cars backed up from campus. However, Liz disagreed saying her trip down University would make traffic worse because the garage would be there.
Mary,
ReplyDeleteIt is only Monday but I am pulling my hair out trying to find parking. I have never needed to go on campus this term (I am online student) but need to this week. And I find it would be so helpful to have a garage and shuttle to help students and faculty. I like that you had diverse interviews to show different opinions and how not everyone may be in need of this; especially in the Summer terms but it would be a great time saver. I would love to see UF use this idea and then you could stash away some cash. Great interviews and post, Mary!
Mary Kate, I would have liked to learn how you were going to take the information you learned in these interviews and apply it to the development of your current idea, or if it had spawned any new ideas that might take your concept to the next level. I do not feel as though you obtained adequate information in your interviews to best help you pave a new path for growth in your venture concept in order to truly expand your existing market. I know it might sound overrated but have you thought of pairing an application with this gator shuttle or parking garage? I also heavily encourage you to research the recent parking garages in Downtown Disney (now known as Disney Springs or something like that) to help you develop this idea. Best of luck in your venture!
ReplyDeleteI think this could be a great venture, and I am sure it has not been hard to find students who agree with you. Parking is a huge issue and probably will not go away any time soon as the University of Florida continues to add students. I like the interviews and it looks like some of those really helped you find some good tips and information for this post.
ReplyDeleteMary since the class has started I have always enjoyed reading your posts. You complete every assignment which is more than I can say. I have been a hug supporter of you venture from the start. I believe that you can execute this venture with ease, navigating Gainesville is a pain in it's self let alone trying to park. So with that being said with the proper marketing and enough drive you could actually make a lot of money and making lives easier in the process.
ReplyDeleteHi Mary,
ReplyDeleteI think that if everyone collectively could solve parking and eating in Gainesville we could handle simple things like running the country. Note to everyone: Neighborhood parking near campus restrictions usually end at 4:00pm so if you can catch an office between 4 and closing, it is easy to find places off of University to the north and to the east of 13th. I look forward to seeing the impacts of your venture should they be realized while I am still in town!
Mary Kate,
ReplyDeleteI like how with these interviews, you were able to capture differing opinions about the idea and about people's needs. It's good to talk to people who might not agree with you and can provide a different perspective. Although you found people who may not have the intended need, I think it's safe to say that your idea would be utilized by plenty, because parking has always been and will continue to be a hot commodity at UF. I personally think the garage and shuttle is a great idea. My only comment on this post would be maybe to discuss a little further the results of your interviews and how you will use that information to possible tweak your concept! Other than that, you've got a great idea going. Good job!
Hi Mary Kate, I think its awesome that your trying to figure out the parking situation in Gainesville because there is just simply not enough parking for everyone in this town and I don't know what the fix is but a good start would be to have parking garages around town and to start with one on campus would be huge and if it could be for multiple using like parking and being able to go down town or to mid town area students and many other people i think would defiantly use them, awesome idea.
ReplyDeleteMary Kate,
ReplyDeleteThough I am a student that goes to campus quite rarely, its evident from your feedback that parking is scarce. Limited parking is the sole reason I refuse to drive to campus. I agree with one of your interviewees when they say it may further the congestion on University Avenue, but I think the lot's benefits outweigh all else. Perhaps you can mimic the idea taken from FSU's parking lots- an app that allows users to see how many spots are open, if any. That way, if the lot is full students will know to refrain from searching tirelessly for a spot.
Hello Mary Kate,
ReplyDeleteI like this concept very much. If there were more parking on campus I would definitely spend more time there. One of your interviewees did make a good point though, if there's more parking then there'll be more traffic on campus. I know universities like UCF have this problem.
Hi Mary Kate,
ReplyDeleteAlthough in "whats next" you suggested a lot closer to campus - I believe it would dilute your low pricing structure to develop a lot so close to UF's campus. Your business model is so attractive because it is cheap, and efficient. I don't believe you would be able to maintain cheap prices with close to campus real estate.
I'm not really sure if your new market is addressable, and to be honest it seems superfluous if they already have parking spots in their homes or apartments. Though it would be beneficial for saving time, as well as making traffic on archer or other congested roads better.
Hi Mary Kate, Great job on your post. I think your idea sounds great and it is something that is lacking on campus. I do agree that it would create more traffic around the school. You have a good idea so keep pushing it. I agree with Bianca when she mentioned the parking app idea. I think that would be awesome and save students and faculty so much time. Overall good interviews. I think they could really help your idea develop further. Good luck!
ReplyDelete