Friday, May 20, 2016

Forming an Opportunity Belief

The unmet need is that parking on University Campus is hard. Teachers, students and just guest to campus all have problems with parking. This need is not new. For years, there have been issues with there not being enough parking on campus. To help meet this need, people are carpooling or riding the bus. I am 95 percent sure that an opportunity exists.

A good prototypical customer would be a student that doesn't go to the University of Florida, but sometimes uses facilities that are open to the public. https://soundcloud.com/mary-kate-cobb/riley
What I learned is that parking for non-students is extremely difficult since parking isn't lifted at 3:30 p.m.

Another prototypical customer who is a student but does not have a decal. https://soundcloud.com/mary-kate-cobb/haley Haley made a good point that not all UF students have decals a lot of them will take the bus because it's easier than finding parking. I was most surprised about how she has to walk around a mile from her internship to the bus stop.

The last good prototypical customer would be a student who does have a parking decal but can still never find parking.
https://soundcloud.com/mary-kate-cobb/madison I was very surprised to learn that a park and ride decal for spring and fall semesters only allow you to park at SW rec. I learned that even if you have a decal it is hard to park in the center of campus.

I think my original opportunity is still there. Students with and without car decals need more accessible parking. I think adapting based on the consumer is a smart idea. As long as you can somewhat stick to your original idea, changing it with customer opinions can only make it better.

5 comments:

  1. As any UF student might attest, this is definitely an issue with parking on campus. The hardest issue with this problem is that there isn't really a great, cost effective solution available. I really like how you got three different effected parties to interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mary,

    Again, great work! You did a great job with the interviews, and I definitely agree tat the problem exists! I love that you're tackling a local issue that affects many of the people around you.

    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased that you brought this problem up. I do not have a decal and I am a student and I hate that I have to wait until 3:30 to park on campus, and even then the parking lot is pretty far from where I need to be. I think UF should invest in another parking lost seeing how the university is building more buildings and taking away more areas to park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,

    I think every one of us can relate to this prevalent issue. I found the parking do's and don'ts to be complicated and confusing and since the consequences are so great, I gave up on parking all together and ride my bike to school. Reading your post, I see that not only is parking an issue but understanding the rules, regulations, and available locations is also a tremendous unmet need. Your post helped to highlight some parking guidelines that I was previously unaware of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! I cannot tell you how many times I have had difficulty parking on campus so I am glad you identified this opportunity. I have encountered problems with the parking at UF when family comes to visit me in my dorm, when I try and find parking any where near my dorm (I almost never do), and during football season when I have to park even farther so that visitors can tailgate. I liked how you made sure to interview three different types of people who might have this need.

    ReplyDelete